In today’s tech-driven world, the durability and longevity of electronic devices are more important than ever. Enter Gorilla Glass, a brand name that has become synonymous with strength, durability, and resilience in the realm of screen protection. Developed by Corning Inc., Gorilla Glass is a type of chemically strengthened glass designed to resist scratches, drops, and bumps, ensuring that the screens of our beloved gadgets can withstand the rigors of daily use.
Gorilla Glass has revolutionized the way we think about protecting our electronic devices. Its combination of strength, clarity, and touch sensitivity has made it an indispensable component of modern technology. As our devices become increasingly integral to our daily lives, the protection offered by Gorilla Glass ensures that they can keep up with us, every step of the way.
What is Gorilla Glass?
Gorilla Glass, produced by Corning, is a type of glass known for its resistance to scratches and its durability, making it a popular choice for smartphones and other devices with screens that need extra protection. This glass is not only tough but also light and works well with touchscreen technology. It gains its strength from a chemical process where larger potassium ions from a chemical bath replace smaller sodium ions in the glass, creating a strong compressive layer right at the glass’s surface. (You can download the Gorilla Glass specifications PDF from our Resource Center.)
Every piece of glass is precisely cut to a tolerance of +/- 0.5mm and is securely packaged in either a box or crate (based on its size), with suitable protective layers in between. Gorilla® Glass® is also capable of being shaped to fit specific designs. If your project needs more specific adjustments than those mentioned here, feel free to reach out to us with your detailed requirements.
Gorilla Glass Raw Material Quality Guarantee:
We ensure all surfaces meet a 80/50 Scratch & Dig quality standard.
Every piece of substrate is precisely cut with a tolerance of +/- 0.5mm and is securely packaged in either a box or crate, size-dependent, with the right protective layers in between.
All pieces come with edges and corners that are smoothly rounded.
Gorilla Glass Properties:
Density 2.39 g/cm³
Young’s Modulus 69.3 GPa
Poisson’s Ratio 0.22
Shear Modulus 28.5 GPa
Vickers Hardness (200 g load)
Un-strengthened 534 kgf/mm³
Strengthened 649 kgf/mm³
Fracture Toughness 0.66 MPa m
Coefficient of Expansion 75.8 x 10 /˚C (0 ˚C – 300 ˚C)
Compressive stress 950 MPa @ 50 µm DOL
Depth of Layer 50 µm
Refractive Index (590 nm)
Core glass* 1.50
Compression layer 1.51
Photo-elastic constant 31.9 nm/cm/MPa
Core index is used for FSM-based measurements since it is unaffected by
How to Customize Gorilla Glass to meet your customers request?
- Define Dimensions:According to customer’s request to make a correct gorilla glass size to meet their need, this includes length, width, and corner radius if the corners are not sharp.
Determine Thickness: Decide on the thickness based on the desired balance between protection and touch sensitivity. Gorilla Glass typically ranges from 0.26mm to 2mm.
2. Final Shape Cutting: Using diamond-tipped tools, the glass is cut to its final dimensions with precise control over the edges and corners.
3. Polishing: The edges and surfaces are polished to achieve the desired finish and to ensure the touch sensitivity is not impaired.
4. Cleaning: The glass is thoroughly cleaned to remove any residues or particles.
5. Chemical Strengthening
Ion Exchange Process: The cut glass undergoes a chemical strengthening process where it is submerged in a molten salt bath (potassium nitrate) at around 400°C. Smaller sodium ions in the glass surface are replaced by larger potassium ions from the bath, creating a layer of compressive stress on the surface, which significantly increases its strength and toughness.
6. Color printing: color printing on glass is not just about making the glass look attractive; it’s a sophisticated tool used for branding, marketing, consumer engagement, and sometimes regulatory compliance. The choice of colors in glass design is a strategic decision that can have a significant impact on a product’s success in the market.
7. Glass surface treatment. According to product usage conditions to make a different surface coating, including anti-glare plating, anti-fingerprint plating, AR plating, etc.
8. Adhesive Application: An adhesive layer, such as a silicone-based adhesive, is applied to the glass. This could be a full adhesive layer or a dot matrix pattern, depending on the design.
9. Glass packing. Glass packing for shipping is meticulously designed to ensure the safety and integrity of glass items during transit. This process involves several key steps and materials aimed at preventing breakage, scratches, and other damages. A custom package is welcome as well.
Gorilla Glass Surface Treatment:
Gorilla Glass often receives an oleophobic (oil-repellent) coating as part of its surface treatment. This coating helps to reduce fingerprints and smudges on the touchscreen’s surface, making it easier to clean. The oleophobic coating also enhances the feel of the glass, making touch gestures smoother.
An anti-reflective coating may be applied to reduce glare and reflections on the glass surface. This improves visibility under bright light conditions, such as outdoors in sunlight. It makes the display more readable and reduces eye strain for the user.
An anti-glare coating is designed to reduce the amount of light that reflects off the surface of the glass, minimizing glare and making the display easier to see and read in brightly lit environments, including outdoor sunlight and indoor overhead lighting.
Custom cut Gorilla Glass Used for?
While Gorilla Glass found its initial success in the smartphone industry, its applications have expanded far beyond. Today, it is used in a variety of products, including tablets, laptops, wearables, and even automotive displays. Its versatility and performance make it a preferred choice in any application where durability and clarity are paramount.
-Protective covers for smartphone displays, laptop and tablet computer screens, and mobile devices
-High strength glass articles
GLAshern Glass specializes in offering diverse customization options for Corning® Gorilla® Glass, including precise cutting and edge smoothing services. This allows us to tailor this advanced glass material to suit any specific need.
With years of expertise in handling complex materials, our team of glass professionals is keen to assist in selecting the perfect option for your upcoming project. For more information on the finishing services we provide for Corning® Gorilla® Glass or to get a quote, reach out to the GLAshern Glass team immediately